One Heart at a Time
Sometimes our ambition is so much smaller than our calling.
In her book Get Lost, Dannah Gresh says, "I'm often asked by young women how to start a ministry or write a book. Please don't ever ask me that question. I loathe it. My answer is always the same: "Find one heart. Minister. Then let God show you another." " (p. 137) She later goes on to say, "The fact is, starting a ministry is a woefully small ambition. You'd do much better to reach for something bigger: the role of being God's helper." (p. 139)
This really spoke to me. I'm in this interesting place right now where I'm not entirely sure what God wants me to do. I'm not entirely sure what my assignment is. I'm still looking for some clarity and direction on what God wants my next move to be. I have this feeling that it will involve writing books one day or some kind of ministry, but those things aren't for today. They are somewhere in a hazy future I can't see. All I know is that at some point, I'm supposed to do something for someone.
With Dannah's words in mind, however, I can still move forward. One person at a time. One heart at a time. Whenever someone reaches out to me, I can minister. Whenever I see someone to reach out to, I can minister. One heart at a time. That's all I need to do - and that's enough.
I got a phone call last night from a friend who was freaking out about a frustrating situation at his job. I was able to speak encouragement and wisdom into his life and also give him some perspective and admonition. We ended the conversation on a great note, with him feeling better and being able to see a way forward.
Yesterday afternoon, I met someone who just moved to town a month ago. So I gave her my phone number and told her if she needed some company or a friend, I'd love to hang out with her. I don't know if we're going to turn out to be friends, but I know moving to a new city with no family or friends can be lonely, so I wanted her to know that if she was feeling that way, she had someone to call. I don't want her to feel alone if I can help her to not be.
The other day a close friend called me to talk because she was feeling stressed out about something that happened to her that day. The day before that, one of my mentees called me for advice. I have the honor and the privilege of encouraging and ministering to and building up all of these beautiful people and whoever else God sends across my path.
I have yet to post a Youtube video that gets a million views or sell a million copies of a book or give a speech to a million-person audience - but each day, I can make one person's day was a little better because they talked to me.
One heart at a time. And that's enough.
Comments
Post a Comment